Monday, February 23, 2009

"Crutcher Time" notes for VEMA Conference: March 11, 2009

I may be wrong but when it comes to trying to make plans for an author visit, our elementary librarians have a whole lot more to choose from than those of us trying to make the secondary connection with reading and fun activities. First of all we have a library community that for the most part does not list reading as one of their top seated activities. In order to snag their attention you need to consider who you will be inviting to speak to your students and how it will be viewed by your constituents, so to speak.Last year we had the golden opportunity to have Chris Crutcher visit our school. How did I choose Mr. Crutcher in the first place? Well, for several reasons:

  • I wanted an author that boys would connect with.
  • I wanted an author that was a little edgy, someone with some controversy (and who else but Crutcher!?)
  • I wanted an author that could really connect with young adults and contemporary social issues
  • I hoped to be able to include a variety of classes such as art, creative writing, government, and social studies
  • Dumb luck: I had never actually heard Mr. Crutcher speak except on U-Tube but I was willing to take a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment